Yesterday on Twitter I mentioned how much I hate when bloggers use the phrase “landed on my desk” or “came across my desk” to talk about products that are provided to them as PR samples. It’s a phrase that draws attention to how casual it’s pretending to be. ‘Oh, no big deal, this happens all the time, it’s my job,’ when in reality, I see it most on small blogs that are imitating bigger bloggers. It’s also silly because how many of these people actually have desks that they a) dedicate to blogging and b) use?
My version of this post is accurately titled ‘On My Dining Table’, because that’s where this stuff lives. The dining table has not been used for dining in possibly a month (we like to eat sitting on the floor, or in bed). It’s also not all PR samples.
1. Green cotton buds. I bought these from Japan City for #feministmakeupping because they’re so cute. Vee told me off for buying them because she had brought heaps… but they will always be useful. Speaking of, she did a fab write up of the whole thing here.
2. I’ve been trialing LiLash* for the past week or so. I feel like I’m seeing a difference but it might be entirely confirmation bias, so I will reserve my excitement for another month at least.
3. While researching my big post about chemical exfoliants, I found the Formula 10.0.6 range at Farmers. Their So Totally Clean cleansing fluids contain lactic acid, and this one was only $7 because it was half-empty. I’ve been using it for a week and a half maybe, and I am a total convert. Twice daily after cleansing and there is a massive difference in the texture of my skin, especially on my cheeks. I’m not exaggerating about how smooth it makes them.
4. Antipodes are launching their Jubilation Hand and Body Cream* soon, and I am really slack at moisturising my hands and body (my whole body is usually covered up and my hands are usually predisposed transporting chips to my mouth). This one smells really nice and is fancy as fuck, so maybe it will change my habits.
5. My nails are presently bare as I’m tossing up between painting them with Art Deco‘s new season brights* or Mavala‘s new season nudes*. I’ve been committed to nude nails solidly all winter, so maybe it’s time for some colour? Probably not, if you know me.
6. For the first time since the last time I freaked out about maybe being pregnant (it happens, despite being liberal with contraceptives) I’m looking forward to getting my period, so I can try TOM Organic tampons*. Jenna from Oh Natural kindly sent these to me, because I want to talk a bit more about ‘taboo’ subjects, including menstruation, on Hyacinth Girl, but I don’t really want to endorse mainstream sanitary brands.
7. I’ve been trying to be better with sunscreen for ages, and I think I’ve finally found something I don’t completely hate putting on my face. The Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+ just feels like a light moisturiser, and doesn’t affect how my makeup applies. Unfortunately this tiny sample is only enough for a couple of applications, and it’s expensive, but I am trying to convince myself of the entirely reasonable truth that it is worth spending money on.
8. I won Carly‘s Korean stationery giveaway! Everything is adorable and these notebooks, in particular, will get put to good use. I’ve nearly reached the end of my current blogging notebook, so the navy blue heart-print one is ear-marked to fill its shoes. You should go read Carly’s blog, Amber Eyes, if you don’t already.